Hi there! I’m Yesenia, a self-taught home cook. Born and raised in Malta 🇲🇹, a tiny island in the middle of the Mediterranean, but living in Luxembourg 🇱🇺. Work has in fact brought me to this other tiny (yet landlocked) country.
Cooking has always been my passion. From my childhood days, when I used to help my mother peeling potatoes 🥔, to my teenage years, when I started cooking dinner for my family and baking cupcakes 🧁for my friends at school, and finally to this present day where I cook daily meals for myself and my picky eater husband.
Throughout the years I have always found joy in hoarding cooking books 📚, watching endless hours of cooking shows 📺, and recently getting lost in the infinite variety of food videos available on YouTube. At the end of the day, all of these sources helped me, both to get out of my comfort zone, and also to further experiment in the kitchen in ways I never thought of 💡. One of my little pleasures is flipping through the pages of a cookbook and trying to decide which recipe to make for the next breakfast, lunch or dinner, or in reality, for any type of excuse that might bring food to the table.
The idea of creating a food blog 📝was always something that I wanted to pursue, and after my first try a couple of years ago, Apron & Whisk is my definite jump into food blogging which I am ready to share with you. Through this blog, I would like to share with you recipes from the Maltese tradition, others that were inspired by my travels 🌍, and everyday-easy-to-make recipes that can be prepared by anyone. Together with you, I would also like to embark on a food journey, where I continue to improve my fundamental skills of cooking and eventually continue to develop my own recipes.
To get to know each other better, here are some random (fun) facts about me:
- Apart from my family and friends, what I miss the most from home are the Maltese bread (a must try) and the sea 🏖!
- Travelling ✈️ and animals 🐰are my second and third passion (you know the first one 😉)
- I love anything salty and acidic, and I am constantly craving cheese 🧀
- I have a Degree in Spanish 🇪🇸 and a Masters in Translation Studies
- When I am not cooking, I am constantly on the look out to learn and to try new D.I.Y. things
- Lastly, I am an extremely clumsy person, although it is something I try to avoid and be more careful while cooking 😅
Let’s get cooking! 😁