These chocolate and nuts healthy balls are an easy-to-make snack and guilt free treat. Made from simple ingredients with no added refined sugars, yet they are extremely indulgent.
Lately, I have been testing several recipes for the festive season, both to share here on the blog and as a testing for my now published Christmas dessert e-book. I have been experimenting with extra decadent and rich recipes, but also with healthier yet indulgent recipes. This recipe is one of them. Made from simple ingredients without added refined sugars, these balls are on the healthier side but definitely extremely delicious! Therefore, these healthy balls are a perfect addition to your Christmas dessert table for this year!
Chocolate and Nuts Healthy Balls Ingredients
For this snack you only need to use a handful of ingredients and are done in a few minutes!
Dates: Medjool date or normal dates are both good to be used here. If using medjool dates there is no need to soak them beforehand. The dates are the base of these balls and what makes them sweet!
Cocoa powder: For that chocolate touch but that isn’t overpowering, cocoa powder is perfect!
Nuts: My go to are ground hazelnuts and walnuts. However, any nut can be used here. Either a single one or a mix of different ones.
Water: I used cold water to bind all the ingredients together. You can also opt for some fruit juice to your liking.
Vanilla: A touch of good vanilla brings more warmth to these healthy balls.
How to make these Healthy Balls
They are incredibly easy to make! Simply gather all the ingredients and blitz them together in a food processor until a sticky paste is formed. Form each ball, with slightly wet hands and roll them into a mixture of ground nuts. Afterwards, a generous drizzle of melted chocolate. The latter, is optional, however, it makes them extra delicious! Let them rest in the fridge for about an hour or until the chocolate is set and the balls firm up a bit.
How to store the Chocolate and Nuts Healthy Balls?
Ideally these healthy balls are to be stored in the fridge. Store them in the fridge in an airtight container for no longer than 5 days.
Chocolate and Nuts Healthy Balls
For the balls:
- 200 g pitted dates
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 50 g ground hazelnut
- 80 g ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the decoration:
- 30 g ground walnuts and hazelnuts
- 20 g dark chocolate melted
- Let the dates soak in water for 30 minutes.
- To a food processor or blender, add all the ingredients and blitz until you get a sticky mixture.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and roll into balls. Wet your hands slightly so that the dough does not stick to your hands. Store in the fridge while you melt the dark chocolate.
- Place the ground hazelnuts and walnuts in a small bowl. To decorate, drop each ball in the nut mixture. Top each ball with a drizzle of dark chocolate.
- Let chill for about an hour for a firmer texture and let the chocolate harden.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!