This cucumber and radish salad is a refreshing side dish with a nice crunch and bursting flavours! Perfect for BBQs and with a fish meal.
Done in minutes!
Apart from being delicious, this salad is literally done in minutes. The most cumbersome task is chopping the ingredients, which in reality, it doesn’t take that much time. When I shot this recipe, I quartered the cucumbers and sliced the radishes thinly so that they don’t become overpowering. However, you can easily wither just quarter both vegetables, or else slice them both. You can also quarter and slice them! There are really no rules on how to chop up this salad.
Removing the water from the cucumbers
If you are serving the salad immediately after preparing it you can skip this step. However, if you are preparing the salad in advance, I recommend that you follow the following step so that you don’t end up with salad covered in water!
Cucumbers have a lot of water and once cut, they start releasing most of it, especially if they come in contact with salt. For this reason, I recommend that you cut your cucumbers, slightly salt them, and then place them over a colander with a container below to catch the drippings. Let the cucumbers release their extra water for at least 30 minutes. However, do not leave them more than 3 hours.
Once you are ready to prepare the salad simply grab the cucumbers and dry them with a clean towel. You can now use them for your salad. It’s important that you do not wash the cucumbers or else you will be reintroducing the water. Also, before adding any salt while combining the salad, taste it beforehand as you might need to put less, as the cucumbers had been already salted before.
To dress up this salad I used a classic one made of lemon juice, white vinegar and olive oil. To sweeten it out and balance the acidic taste, I added sugar. However, you can also add either honey or maple syrup.
I have used parsley as a herb to give this salad more freshness. Although, this isn’t the most common herb used in cucumber salads, I think it equally goes so well! However, if you aren’t a big of a fan, you can also instead use dill. Dill works perfectly as well with cucumbers and radish!
Looking for more side salads?
Cucumber and Radish Salad
- 1 large cucumber
- 100 g radishes
- 1 small red onion
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Add olive oil If you are making your salad quite in advance, I recommend that you remove the excess water from the cucumbers. Salt the quartered cucumbers, place on top of a colander with a container below. Let it aside for about 30 minutes, but not more than 3 hours. Pat dry with a towel.
- In a large bowl add the quartered cucumbers, sliced radish, chopped red onion and fresh parsley. Mix and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together, the olive oil, lemon juice, white vinegar and sugar. Drizzle it over the mixed salad and combine well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving. Mix well again to redistribute the salad and serve!
- Place any leftovers in the fridge. Enjoy!
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!