These za’atar cheese melts are the ultimate finger food appetizer, with a flavourful tangy and herbal taste.
During this time of year, every excuse is good to gather around the table and serve as much food as we can, even though we won’t be eating everything up. Even this year, with its limitations people are still looking for ways to entertain their close family. One dish, which I’m sure will get everyone grabbing for seconds are these crunchy za’atar cheese melts with a stretchy melty inside. Also, they’re so easy to make, which means more time for you to enjoy and eat, rather than being stuck cooking.
For these cheese melts I opted to go with some tangy za’atar spices to balance out the sweetness from the Babybel cheese. However, this recipe can be also used as a guideline as you can spice up the outside breading with any flavour you like! Other delicious options might be, rosemary, oregano, nutmeg, etc. Or else, you can easily replace the breadcrumbs mixture, with a crushed version of your favourite nachos or crisps. That is one of the best things about these cheese melts, they are really versatile and easy to switch up.
Za’atar cheese melts
Za'atar Cheese Melts
- 20 babybel cheese
- 60 g breadcrumbs 1 cup
- 2 eggs beaten
- 65 g flour 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp Za'atar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- marinara sauce to serve optional
- Remove all the wrappings from the babybel cheese and set aside.
- Prepare three bowls. In the first one prepare the flour seasoned with black pepper. In another add the beaten eggs. Lastly, in a third bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and the za'atar.
- Working with a cheese piece at a time, first dip the cheese in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs and za'atar mixture. Make sure that each cheese is evenly and completely breaded.
- Put the breaded cheese in the fridge to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with vegetable oil, pour enough oil so that the cheese melts have enough space to cook in, about 7 cm. Heat the oil to about 170°C.
- Cook each cheese melt for about 2 minutes on each side, until the crust is nicely golden.
- Serve immediately warm so that the cheese is still melty on the inside. Ideally served with some marinara sauce or with any dip of your liking, such as cranberry sauce or barbecue sauce.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!
Leave a Reply