Take the classic brownie recipe up a notch with this simple twist! Add a generous amount of whipped cream and your favourite fruit on top to create this addictive Brownie Pizza Cake!
Lately, my sweet tooth has been wild! Everyday I find myself scrolling on Instagram and Pinterest to see what’s popular at the moment. Even though I force myself to see savoury dishes, I have to admit that my eye falls longer on sweet treats. When I’ve seen this Brownie Pizza Cake I was intrigued to experiment on this idea! After two days I had all the ingredients to start. Best decision ever!
What’s different from the usual brownie?
For this brownie recipe, I used one of my go to recipes that is more cakey and dense as this holds the toppings better. Furthermore, instead of baking it in the traditional square tin, I baked it in a circular one to give it the pizza/cake shape. I used a 9 inch sized one as I was going for a thick brownie. However, if you want a thin brownie base you can easily bake it in a larger sized tin. Once baked I let it cool completely. This is crucial as this prevents the whipping cream from melting as soon as it is placed on top. Another option to the whipping cream, is to use a cream cheese batter, frosting or any spread. I prefer the whipping cream as it literally take seconds and it’s the lightest of them all, which compensates for the dense brownie.
Healthy toppings or no?
As you can see, I topped everything with fresh seasonal fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, kiwi and mint. However, you can literally have fun with the toppings here! Some of the fun options you can try are crushed chocolates, crushed biscuits, nuts and candy.
How to serve?
This brownie pizza cake is a great dessert to be served after a meal. Why not slice it in pieces beforehand and place it in the middle of the table and let everyone take a piece? You can either eat it as a ‘pizza’ with your hands and on the go, or else serve it as cake. Both ways are good, it will always be extremely delicious. For me, the best part of this recipe is that everyone gets to have a crunchy edge piece!
Brownie Pizza Cake
For the Brownie
- 90 g flour
- 75 g cacao powder
- 100 g brown sugar
- 115 g butter
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g chocolate
- 20 g hazelnuts chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Whipped Cream
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 kiwi
- 3 strawberries
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- mint leaves
Preparing the Brownie
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F. Spray a 9 inch circle pan with oil and cover with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and the chocolate together either in the microwave or on bain-marie.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, brown sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine together the wet mixture with the melted butter and chocolate.
- Sift in the flour and cacao powder and mix well together. Finally add the chopped hazelnuts and stir them in.
- Transfer the batter in the pan. Cook the brownies for 25 minutes.
- Once ready, let the brownies rest completely for about an hour. It's important that the brownie is completely set before decorating.
Making the whipped cream
- In a large bowl add the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together. Whisk until you get stiff peaks. Place in the fridge until ready to decorate.
- Add all the whipped cream on top of the brownie cake and spread around. Decorate on top with all the fruit and mint. Serve immediately.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!
Rita Muscat says
A rich chocolate cake! 🍫 🍰