These soft and fluffy chocolate, hazelnut banana muffins are the perfect treat to use up all those spotty bananas lying around your kitchen. All you need are some extra pantry essentials and you’re set.
During the past year or so, everyone has been baking banana bread like crazy! I’ve been literally seeing it everywhere. However, as I’m a bit picky with how I like my banana bread, I preferred making these muffins! In addition, I like having these already in a portioned size as it limits how much I eat at once.
What’s in these muffins?
The main flavours of these muffins are coming from the ripe sweet bananas, the nutty hazelnuts and the decadent chocolate. Afterwards, all you need are some essential ingredients you most probably already have in your kitchen; flour, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt, neutral oil and eggs.
How to quickly ripen bananas
If you don’t have ripe or spotty bananas on hand. No worries, you can easily speed up this process in your kitchen. All you have to do is simply put your bananas in the oven on a lined baking tray and bake at 150°C /300°F until they turn deeply black. Normally, this process might take from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how your bananas are at the beginning. Once done, simply remove the skin of the bananas while still slightly warm and mash them. You can either mash them with a fork or by using a mixer!
How to store these Chocolate Hazelnut Banana muffins
After completely cool, you can store these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for about 5 days. I don’t like keeping them further as this might change their taste. Another great way to store them is to let them cool and then freeze them for about 2 months. Afterwards, just let them thaw and enjoy! Or else, you can also heat them up slightly to melt that good chocolate.
Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Muffins
- 200 g plain flour
- 50 g castor sugar
- 50 g brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 170 g chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 70 g hazelnuts chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 ml neutral oil vegetable/canola/sunflower
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the ripe* bananas into a creamy texture. To the bowl add the castor and brown sugar, eggs, neutral oil and vanilla extract. Mix well together.
- Start adding some of the flour to the wet mixture, and mix it in the batter.
- Finally, gently fold in, the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin liners. Don't worry if the batter reaches the top of the tin.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes or until a cake tester/toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!