Creamy gorgonzola gnocchi with crispy prosciutto and walnuts crumbled on top! A plate full of strong flavours but go so well together!
The star ingredients in this recipe are the gorgonzola, prosciutto and the walnuts! Together these three are a match made in heaven. This is one of the most popular food combinations out there. Served as crostini, filled raviolis, soups and so on.
My love for gorgonzola grew so much these past months that I had to bring it also here! After abstaining from certain cheeses during my pregnancy I spent the following months making up for it! One of the cheese I have been enjoying is gorgonzola! Apart from having it with bread or on pizza, I like to melt it and make creamy sauces.
This gorgonzola sauce is definitely one of the creamiest sauces that I make. It’s also relatively easy to make! I start of by heating some olive oil in a pan and cook gently minced garlic. Once the garlic is cooked, I add the heavy cream, gorgonzola and nutmeg and let everything melt together. I tend to stay close to the stove so that it doesn’t burn or stick, and stir the mixture often. That’s all! Once it slightly thickened, it’s ready!
If the sauce starts to curdle slightly, simply add some pasta water to the pan slowly and mix it until the sauce gets to a creamy texture again.
What is crispy prosciutto?
Prosciutto, as you most probably know, is delicious! However, crispy prosciutto is what you needed in your life! Simply bake the prosciutto slightly in the oven or in an air fryer until it’s nice and crispy. Once it’s cools you can break the pieces in the sizes you want or need and sprinkle it on food. However, be careful, cooking the prosciutto this way brings out more it’s salty flavour, so you have to put in less than when using raw prosciutto.
Gnocchi or Pasta?
In this dish I’m using store bought gnocchi as I wanted this to be an easy recipe that only takes 20 minutes. However, if you have the time, you can for sure make fresh gnocchi and enjoy them the same way. Furthermore, why limit yourself to gnocchi? This sauce will work perfectly as well with pasta
Gorgonzola Gnocchi with Crispy Prosciutto
- 500 g gnocchi
- 250 g gorgonzola cheese
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 50 g walnuts chopped
- 80 g prosciutto
- Place the prosciutto in the air fryer basket or on a lined baking sheet. Important that each slice is laid flat and that they don’t overlap. Cook for a five minutes at a temperature between 180°C and 200°C. Keep an eye on the prosciutto so that it doesn’t burn. Once ready, place the crispy prosciutto on a plate with a napkin to catch the extra dripping fats. As soon as it cools down, crumble the prosciutto and set it aside.
- In a large pan add the olive oil and minced garlic and let cook for a few minutes. As soon as the garlic is cooked add the heavy cream, gorgonzola cheese and nutmeg. Stir the sauce constantly. Let it cook for a few minutes so that it thickens.
- Boil a large pot of water and season with salt. Add the gnocchi and let them cook according to the timing on the package or until they float to the top.
- Transfer the cooked gnocchi to the pan with the sauce and mix everything. Make sure that all the gnocchi are covered in the creamy Gorgonzola sauce.
- Plate the gnocchi and on top sprinkle the chopped walnuts and pieces of the crispy prosciutto. Serve immediately.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!