Creamy Maltese style potato salad made of fork tender potatoes covered with plenty of mayo, onion and parsley! A must at every Maltese BBQ!
Every summer in Malta you’ll have plenty of people doing BBQs. It’s basically a social activity that everyone does! Almost every celebration during summer is catered by a BBQ. For example, we just had our son’s birthday and we celebrated with a small BBQ during the day. I personally am a big fan of BBQs!
Apart from the food cooked over the grill, I’m obsessed with all the sides served. I love a good selection of salads, such as tuna rice salad, kapunata, Chickpea and Ġbejniet Chopped Salad and this classic Maltese style potato salad. On my blog I have recently shared another potato salad which can be also served at a BBQ. However, this one here is the original and classic version you will find at every BBQ!
Making the salad
Maltese tend to like their potato salad smothered with plenty of mayonnaise, onion and a good amount of parsley. I could eat this for days!! That’s how much I love this. One of the reasons why it’s also a favourite, is that it’s so easy to prepare and lasts a good time in the fridge, so it can be prepared in advance. I actually recommend that you prepare it well in advance.
Apart from the fact that you won’t have to worry about it in the last minutes by preparing it earlier than needed, you will also give enough time to the potatoes to absorb some of the mayo. This will result in a creamier and rich salad! Once you are ready to serve, simply mix it up slightly as the potato salad tend to clump up a bit when left in the fridge, even for just an hour.
If you end up with leftovers of this salad, which I highly doubt! I suggest to store it in the fridge for not more than 3 days. You can either eat it cold or else let it come to room temperature prior serving.
Maltese Style Potato Salad
- 1 kg potatoes peeled, halved or quartered
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 70 g mayonnaise about 1 cup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with enough salted water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes, this will depend on the size of your potatoes. Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooling, prepare the onion, garlic and fresh parsley. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough and don't feel that warm to the touch, mix with the mayonnaise and mustard. Stir in the onion, garlic and parsley; and season to taste. Serve the potato salad at room temperature.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!