A quick and simple seasonal zucchini and whipped ricotta tart perfect for a light lunch or a side dish for your meal.
As I have mentioned in some of my earlier posts, I’m trying to buy as much as possible vegetables and fruits which are in season and sourced closer to where I live. Although this isn’t always possible for me, it’s a little step forward that makes me enjoy more varied vegetables, which also results in tastier ones! At the moment, zucchini (or courgette) are in season so I’m trying to make the most out of them. I’ve been eating them for most of my meals. One of the simplest ways in which I enjoy eating them, is in this light and delicate tart.
This zucchini and whipped ricotta tart has been a lunch I’ve prepared multiple times these weeks and one which I will keep doing. The zucchini I’ve been buying are really great and don’t need too much work in order to enjoy their great taste! For this reason, I keep this tart as simple as possible so that I can enjoy all of its fresh flavours.
Preparing the tart
For the dough I used ready made puff pastry that I buy from the fridge section. However, you can make your dough from scratch as easily! The dough from my Leek, Mushroom and Feta Hand Pies will work perfectly here, as it’s so buttery and flakey good! For the middle layer the whipped ricotta works like a charm as it gives the tart a smooth silky texture, and doesn’t get the pastry base soggy. Although, if you want, you can go rustic and simply layer the ricotta on top without whipping it. On top of the ricotta I like to put pistachios for a bit of a bite. What’s left is to simply overlay the sliced zucchini on top of each other. I love how the overlaying gives the tart such a cute design.
How to make whipped ricotta?
Making whipped ricotta is an extra step for added smoothness that gives any recipe a delicate touch. Additionally, it’s so easy to make. All you need here is to place the ricotta with some olive oil and seasoning in a blender. Blend everything until everything get silky and smooth. The best part of whipped ricotta is that you can also make it sweet. In fact, I have already shared a sweet version of this ricotta before. If you want to give it a try also check out my Whipped Ricotta and Fig Toast. You for sure won’t be disappointed!
Zucchini and Whipped Ricotta Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 250 g ricotta
- 2 tbsp pistachios crushed
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Start by preparing and slicing the zucchini and crushing the pistachios if you have the whole ones.
- To make the whipped ricotta: Place the ricotta, olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend all the ingredients until you get a creamy texture.
- Score a border around the puff pastry of about 0.5cm.
- Spread the ricotta over the puff pastry, leaving the border empty. Sprinkle the pistachios on top and layer on top by overlaying the zucchini.
- Brush the zucchini with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and sumac.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry has browned and the zucchini are cooked through. Slice the tart into six and serve.
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!