Fruity sweet buttery blueberry white chocolate scones perfect for your next afternoon tea! Enjoy them warm or with cream and jam.
What are scones?
Scones are rich baked pastry which are flaky thanks to the butter in them. Either plain or stuffed with delicious fillings as these ones! To be enjoyed with clotted cream and jam or on their own. Scones are an ideal treat to have with a fresh cup of tea.
How to make these Blueberry and white chocolate scones?
First thing to do is weigh all the ingredients beforehand, and keep the cubed butter stored in the fridge until ready to use. Alternatively, you can also store the butter in the freezer, and grate it when ready to use. Start by mixing the dry ingredients together. Add the butter and combine quickly with the dry ingredients. It’s important to work quickly and touch the mixture as least as possible so that the butter doesn’t melt. Finally, add all the other ingredients until a shaggy dough is formed. Do not worry if there is still flour visible.
How to serve these scones?
Serve these scones slightly warm or at room temperature! You can either pry them open and enjoy them with some clotted cream and jam. Or else you can simply enjoy them on their own. However, any way you serve them is delicious especially with a warm cup of coffee or tea.
How to store these blueberry white chocolate scones?
Prepared scones can be stored in air tight container for not more than 5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze them for about 3 months. Store unbaked scones in the freezer for about 2 months and cook from frozen. Therefore, you will need to cook them for slightly longer.
Can I use other fruit instead of blueberries?
Even though this recipe calls for blueberries, any other berries can be used. Strawberries or blackberries work just wonderfully in scones. You can also swap the berries with nectarines or plums.
Blueberry White Chocolate Scones
- 250 g plain flour
- 70 g caster sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 125 g cold butter cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 120 ml heavy cream extra for brushing
- 80 g white chocolate chips
- 160 g fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest of a lemon
- Optional: coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 390°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and lemon zest. Add the cubed cold butter, and working with your fingertips combine to a crumbly mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream and egg. Add this mixture to the flour mixture gently. Mix until there is no liquid. Add in the chocolate chips and the blueberries. Knead until everything is evenly distributed.
- On a lightly floured surface, drop the dough and shape with your hands into a disc of about 20 cm. With a sharp knife, cut into 8 triangles. Place the scones on the prepared baking tray.
- Brush the scones with some heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake the scones for about 20-25 minutes until they are nicely golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Top with your favourite cream and jam!
If you have any questions, feedback or comments on this recipe, please leave a comment below. Please also rate this recipe by double clicking on the stars below. If you did make this recipe, tag @apronandwhisk and hashtag #apronandwhisk, as I’m curious to see what you create!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the mailing list down below so to receive the recipe updates straight to your mailbox!